13th Meeting of the CaribVET Steering Committee
The members of the CaribVET Steering Committee met in St. Jonh's, Antigua and Barbuda week of 11th June for the 13th Annual Meeting of the CaribVET SC (11-12 June) followed by a special session on Disaster Risk Reduction and Management. The CARICOM Chief Veterinary Officers met for their 18th CARICOM Meeting (13 PM -14 June).
The CaribVET SC reviewed the 2017/2018 activities and discussed the strategic orientations of the network for 2018/2019. More specifically, the SC worked on the legal status and on the recommendations of the first 2017 external evaluation of CaribVET and also addressed the following topics:
- Regional Priorities
- Funding strategy for the sustainable operation of CaribVET
- Review of the technical activities, regional research projects, collaborations
- CAHFSA - CaribVET collaborations
The objectives of the DRRM session are to 1/ Increase awareness of Veterinary Services in the Caribbean on tools and expertise available for countries to improve their disaster risk reduction and emergency management capacity and 2/ better understand the role of CVOs in DRRM planning at the national level. Working documents and materials were sent to the participants on May 28.
The meeting was supported by USDA-APHIS-IS, CIRAD, IICA, FAO and the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Barbuda affairs of Antigua and Barbuda
Read More: CaribVET and CCVO meeting on the Media in Antigua and Barbuda:
- Meeting addresses animal and veterinary health issues within the region, the Daily Observer, June 12, 2018
- An animal Registry on the horizon, the Daily observer, June 20, 2018
- Antigua to preserve its rabies free status, the Daily Observer, June 21, 2018