Human, animal and plant infectious diseases in tropical insular environments: surveillance, diagnosis, control and impact
The MALIN collaborative project aims to improve research on human, animal and plant infectious diseases in Guadeloupe for better surveillance and control of those diseases. The project joins forces of all the Guadeloupean research and surveillance institutions involved in understanding, monitoring and controlling these diseases. Coordinated by Cirad, MALIN project relies on a multidisciplinary approach combining microbiology, epidemiology, entomology and socio-economics.
Project start date:01/01/2014
Project end date:31/12/2020
- Improve the knowledge, diagnosis and surveillance of human, animal and plant infectious diseases of local interest.
- Develop alternative and sustainable control methods against these diseases
- Assess the economic and social impact of these diseases, their surveillance and the associated control methods.
- Transfer the innovations developped during the project through technical training addressed to the final users
- Train future local infectious disease researchers and provide ongoing training in key areas (bioinformatics, sequencing, proteomics)
- Innovative diagnostic tools and strengthened diagnostic capabilities in Guadeloupe, at final users's service
- Strengthened regional health surveillance networks to better protect Caribbean territories from infectious diseases
- Alternative and sustainable methods of infectious diseases control, based on new vaccine approaches, non-chemical vector control methods and genetic control / resistance use
- An assessment of the economic and social impact of these diseases, their surveillance and the associated control methods, through innovative cost / benefit analyzes applied to health
- Strengthened R&D capacities in infectious diseases to place Guadeloupe as the regional leader of infectious disease research
- ARS : Agence de Santé de Guadeloupe, St Martin, St Barthélémy
- CHU : Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Guadeloupe / University hospital of Guadeloupe
- Cirad : French research centre working with developing countries to tackle international agricultural and development issues.
- Fredon : Regional Federation of Defense Against Pests
- Inra : French National Institute for Agricultural Research
- IPG : Pasteur Institute of Guadeloupe
- IT2 : Technical Institute Tropical
- UA : Université des Antilles (West indies' University)
- Santé Publique France : National Public Health Agency
- ORSaG : Regional Health Observatory of Guadeloupe
European Union (European Regional Development Fund), Guadeloupe region, Cirad